Jaw Dropping Truth About Dental Products

It's the end of the day; you're getting ready for bed, and during your dental routine, you begin flossing with the typical, convenient floss brand found at your local supermarket. Not thinking anything of it, you're eliminating all the potential food and gunk build-up between your teeth, all while exposing your body to all sorts of dangerous outcomes like diseases, possible cancers, and maybe infertility. Then, it's almost like second nature to grab a bottle of mouthwash and swish away once you're done brushing your teeth, am I right? Your mouth seems so clean, fresh, minty, and germ-free once you gargle the glorious toxic chemicals in your mouth that can actually cause more harm than good…

­Our minds are so focused on the stereotypical meaning behind the word "germs." We automatically associate that word with negativity, sickness, dirtiness, and now epidemics; however, we need to change that thought. Only 3% of germs are linked to the issues that we loathe, while the other 97% can actually better and help us.

Believe it or not, plaque is good for your teeth! That is when it's good plaque, of course. A healthy oral microbiome has the ability to create and provide plaque that can protect your teeth. This will lead to your teeth feeling smooth while looking shiny and clean. And where does a healthy oral microbiome come from? The 97% of good bacteria that can be found in your mouth. Did you know that not all bad breath comes from poor oral hygiene? It can actually come from one's lungs due to the forceful exit of gasses because of a leaky gut or poor liver performance. So, turning to mouthwash may not be the solution to bad breath. Instead, practice good oral health by brushing, flossing, and scraping your tongue twice a day (morning and night), followed by a healthy diet and lifestyle.  

At this point, you may be wondering what is so bad about mouthwash...well, here's the rundown. Avoid any mouthwashes that contain:

  • Alcohol – can lead to liver failure and gastrointestinal. Could potentially cause blindness, other organ failures, or possibly death.
  • Chlorine dioxide – may cause severe vomiting, diarrhea, liver failure, or death.
  • Chlorhexidine – common side effects are tooth/tongue staining, mouth sores, increased tartar, gingivitis, mouth/throat irritation, tongue swelling, dry mouth, decrease in taste, or an unusual or unpleasant taste in your mouth.  
  • Cocamidopropyl betaine – Has been known to cause skin discomfort and/or eye irritation.
  • Parabens – numerous studies have shown links to cancer with these chemicals. Also known to cause allergic reactions leading to itching, bumps, blisters, dry skin, swelling, tenderness, or burning of the skin.  
  • Poloxamer 407 – has been linked to breast cancer.
  • Formaldehyde – can cause skin irritation and/or allergic reactions. Typically, this chemical is used to treat issues outside the body (like on your skin) and should not be consumed.   
  • Saccharin can lead to an increase in hunger, food intake, and weight gain since it is an artificial sweetener.

Without further ado, it's best to avoid mouthwash in general. Opt for a much more natural solution and maintain a thorough oral routine to keep a healthy microbiome. Primal Life Organics Dirty Mouth Gum Serum offers a natural take on refreshing the mouth and gums. Made with 11 essential oils, your gums, mouth, and breath will experience the clean freshness and healthiness you crave without putting your body at risk from harmful chemicals. 

 Now let's talk floss. Warning: tongue twister ahead! If your floss contains perfluorooctanesulfonic acids (PFAS), pitch it. This is a key ingredient found in the fabric protector Scotchgard that is poisonous. See why the idea of "if you cannot pronounce the name(s) in the ingredient list, do not use it" is stressed so heavily? This particular ingredient is linked to kidney cancer, testicular cancer, thyroid disease, fertility problems, and immune system disorders. Bet you didn't think something as simple and little as floss could lead to such life-threatening and altering issues, did you? Always make sure to read labels before making a purchase. Primal Life Organics ensures consumer safety by using only natural ingredients that will not harm the body, no matter the age. Their Charcoal Floss Picks are made of only 3 simple ingredients: light natural mint oil, charcoal bamboo floss, and corn starch for a biodegradable handle. How does that list not make you feel comfortable using it in your mouth? 

So now that you have the inside scoop on overrated or unspoken about dental products and issues, don't hesitate to make a much-needed switch! Primal Life offers all-natural, holistic products to replace the toxic, chemical-infused ones that are sold at the local convenience stores and supermarkets. From soil to soul, we provide natural dental and skincare products that we know you and your body will LOVE.