Have you recently made the switch to Primal Life Organics- where we leave out the alcohol, fragrance, water and chemicals. Here is a disclosure: some people WILL experience congested skin- breakouts, redness or general irritation. Does this mean chemical free skin-food is not for you??? ABSOLUTELY NOT! Here's why:
Alcohol, fragrance, water and chemicals in commercial skincare products disrupt normal skin function
With prolonged use, the skin adapts to this altered state. For instance, alcohol dehydrates the skin. The skin adapts by increasing sebum production. When you remove the alcohol- the skin needs to rebalance to its normal function. This confused state (adjustment period) can take 3-6 weeks to live thru. During this time, you may experience congested skin (breakouts, redness, irritation). Be patient and allow your skin to heal and return to normal function and you will see the results. Here are some other ingredients that can reck havoc on the normal functions of the skin- as well as the rest of your body:
- Alcohols, by themselves can have severe impact on the skin. They dilate the blood vessels and interfere with the body’s ability to process Vitamin A. The reduced absorption of Vitamin A accelerates the process of premature aging and causes wrinkles and fine lines to appear on the skin. Alcohol consumption also results in increased flushing of the skin, decreased absorption and efficacy of vitamin A, and increased toxicity of vitamin A and ß-carotene.
- Moisturizers that contain a low molecular weight of alcohol fail to be effective because they quickly evaporate from the skin surface. Some of the alcohols that you should completely avoid are ethanol, ethyl alcohol, denatured alcohol, methanol, benzyl alcohol, methyl alcohol, isopropyl alcohol, and SD alcohol. Denatured or ‘SD’ signifies that the alcohols are processed so they cannot be ingested.
- Synthetic fragrances often contain phthalates (pronounced THAY-lates). These synthetic chemicals disrupt the endocrine system and mimic hormones. Fragrance can also dehydrate the skin- causing advance aging signs (lines, wrinkles and dry skin).
- Parabens, common in skincare, preserve other ingredients and extend a product’s shelf life–but these antimicrobial chemicals also have hormone-disrupting effects.
- Ureas, formally known as diazolidinyl urea, imidazolidinyl urea, or DMDM hydantoin and sodium -hydroxymethyl-glycinate, are preservatives that have the potential to release formaldehyde in very small amounts and are a primary cause of contact dermatitis.
- MEA/DEA/TEA are “amines” (ammonia compounds) and can form harmful nitrosamines when they come in contact with nitrates. Used as foaming agents, synthetic stabilizers, and to adjust the pH of cosmetics, they can cause allergic reactions, eye irritation, and dryness of the hair and skin.
- Sulfates, such as sodium lauryl and sodium laureth, can cause eye irritation and skin rashes.
- Synthetic colors are made from coal tar. They contain heavy metal salts that may deposit toxins onto the skin, causing skin sensitivity and irritation. Animal studies have shown almost all of them to be carcinogenic. They will be labeled as FD&C or D&C, followed by a color and a number.
- Nanos are a new technology with inconclusive but potentially hazardous study results. Research suggests that when tiny nano particles penetrate the skin, they may cause cell damage.
Primal Life Organics provides real food for your skin. Skin-Food that will allow your skin to function the way it was intended- It just may take 6-8 weeks to get your real skin back!