Believe it or not, plaque is good for your teeth! That is when it's good plaque, of course. A healthy oral microbiome has the ability to create and provide plaque that can protect your teeth. This will lead to your teeth feeling smooth while looking shiny and clean.
And where does a healthy oral microbiome come from? The good bacteria that can be found in your mouth!
This is why turning to an alcohol and chemical-based mouthwash can be bad news. Commercial mouthwash wipes out not only the bad bacteria in your mouth but the good bacteria too. This leaves your mouth defenseless and susceptible to cavities, gum disease, and bad breath.
Here is a list of a few of the ingredients in commercial mouthwash that disrupt your oral microbiome, in addition to causing other negative effects throughout your body:
- Alcohol – can lead to liver failure and gastrointestinal. Could potentially cause blindness, other organ failures, or possibly death.
- Chlorine dioxide – may cause severe vomiting, diarrhea, liver failure, or death.
- Chlorhexidine – common side effects are tooth/tongue staining, mouth sores, increased tartar, gingivitis, mouth/throat irritation, tongue swelling, dry mouth, decrease in taste, or an unusual or unpleasant taste in your mouth.
- Cocamidopropyl betaine – Has been known to cause skin discomfort and/or eye irritation.
- Parabens – numerous studies have shown links to cancer with these chemicals. Also known to cause allergic reactions leading to itching, bumps, blisters, dry skin, swelling, tenderness, or burning of the skin.
- Poloxamer 407 – has been linked to breast cancer.
- Formaldehyde – can cause skin irritation and/or allergic reactions. Typically, this chemical is used to treat issues outside the body (like on your skin) and should not be consumed.
- Saccharin can lead to an increase in hunger, food intake, and weight gain since it is an artificial sweetener.
It goes without saying that it's best to avoid mouthwash in general. Opt for a natural solution that will keep your mouth and oral microbiome healthy. Primal Life Organics Dirty Mouth Gum Drops are made of a detoxifying and soothing blend of 11 essential oils that create a healthy balance of good bacteria inside your mouth, getting rid of toxins and impurities found on the surface of your teeth and gums.
The result is healthy teeth and gums and fresh breath that lasts all day long!
Now let's talk floss. If your floss contains perfluorooctanesulfonic acids (PFAS) - otherwise known as forever chemicals - pitch it.
PFAS persist indefinitely in the environment and within the human body. They are considered "forever" because the body (and environment) cannot break these compounds down so they are not eliminated from the body. Essentially, these chemicals are stored indefinitely IN the body. They permeate various facets of daily life, from fast-food wrappers to stain-resistant products and even soil.
Adding to the concern is the high level of danger associated with these chemicals. Although establishing a direct link between PFAS and health issues poses challenges, the Centers for Disease Control notes their potential association with problems such as low birth weight, immune system complications, elevated cholesterol levels, and more. An article in Health further highlights the connection between PFAS and certain cancers and fertility issues.
I bet you didn't think something as simple and little as floss could lead to such life-threatening and altering issues, did you?
Always make sure to read labels before making a purchase. Primal Life Organics ensures consumer safety by using only natural ingredients that will not harm the body, no matter the age. Our Bamboo Charcoal Floss Picks are made of only 3 simple ingredients: light natural mint oil, charcoal bamboo floss, and corn starch for a biodegradable handle. How does that list not make you feel comfortable using it in your mouth?
Primal Life offers all-natural, holistic products to replace the toxic, chemical-infused ones that are sold at the local convenience stores and supermarkets. From soil to soul, we provide natural dental and skincare products that we know you and your body will LOVE.